Tuesday 3 November 2009

Grey Canvas Series

I might have told some of you, but I'm starting a series of pieces called the Grey Canvas Series. The Series is split into several sections - I think there will be around 4 or 5, but I'm not sure yet - it all depends on how many good photos I manage to get. I've already decided on the titles for 3 of the sections: 'Watch Me', 'See Me' and 'Restrain Me'. I'm creating them by taking or finding photos that are aesthetically pleasing and/or interesting and/or imaginative, and editing them in Photoshop to create a line/block image consisting of only 3 hues: black, white and grey. Finally, I'm going to paint them onto canvas (hence the 'canvas' part of the series title), with the image placed in the middle and a plain grey border surrounding it.

If I get round to it, I might create a second set in the Series, consisting of only celebrities that I find attractive, because really, I'm still a teenager and I still have my fantasies.

I've experimented with a few of the methods of creating the line/block image in Photoshop and so far it's been successful, but I do notice that it's difficult to tell from the original photo how easy the hues of the photo will be to section out into white, black and grey. I've already pretty much finished with the 'See Me' section, which features my wonderful model Krissy. I didn't take the photos myself, I stumbled upon them while browsing Facebook. I didn't get round to asking the photographer for permission, I might do that at some point, but for now all I can do is hope that they don't start caring. I already have permission from Krissy, of course, otherwise she just wouldn't be notified!

Here are the original photographs:

 


Luckily, Krissy is photogenic enough for the photo to be more decent than anything I could even hope to pose for, and the lighting was just right for editing. Here are the simple black and white edits:



I experimented a little with one of the edits and turned it negative. It looks okay onscreen, but I have a feeling it won't look right on the final canvas:



I don't know what everything thinks about these (please do tell me if you have anything to say about them), but out of everything I've done I think these edits are my favourite, however simple they were to create.

Please comment!